HOME

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Reason #486 NOT to have children

Today, I worked an 8-year-old's birthday party at my part-time job. I helped out with the rental a lot more than I usually would. I'm only really obligated to open the building for the people, make sure it's clean when they get there and when they leave, adjust the temperature if need be, and lock up after they're gone. I helped this lady with setting up tables and chairs and with decorating. I could tell she needed the help when she came in by herself to set up with her 5 children. That's right, this woman couldn't have been over 30 and she had 5 children. The oldest was 8 years old, and the youngest was 18 months old. Part of me pitied her, but another more cynical part of me thought, "well, that's what you get when you have 5 children before you're 30." The pity side won out, and I helped as much as I could.

When we were cleaning up (that's right, folks, I got my hands just as dirty as anyone else there during the clean-up.. highly unusual for me), there were some stickers stuck to the hardwood floor. I was helping the mother of 5 scrape up the stickers when the following conversation took place:

8-year-old Birthday Boy: "Gee, I wish we could go back in time."

Harrowed Mother: [sarcastially] "Me too."

Me: "I bet you would for different reasons, though."

Birthday Boy: [excitedly] "I would go back 2 hours and start my party all over again."

Harrowed Mother: "I would go back 10 years."

Birthday Boy: "But I wasn't even on the EARTH then."

Harrowed Mother: "Yes, I know. I'd've finished school."

So sad! I guess all I can do is be that much more thankful that I'm not in her shoes.

Reason #487 NOT to have children: When you turn an 8-year-old 1/2 Mexican child loose with a CD player, you will hear "La Cucaracha" on repeat until you step in and turn it off. I swear, I heard that song at least 10 times in a row today. I'm surprised they left the "marijuana a fumar" part in the kiddie Party City CD.

posted by Jennifer at 2/20/2005 07:48:00 PM



1 comments:
Blogger Jamie said...

As much as I don't share the non-children thing, I do agree that there are children (and lots of them, preferrably in streetcars and planes, I think) you just want to punch or at least yell at. Whenever I see such a kid I tend to tell whoever I'm with: 'Yeah, our kids WON'T be like this.'
I so hope I'm right.

2/21/2005 01:11:00 AM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.