HOME

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

purple haze

Due to the lengthy comments on my previous post, I think I have enough material for a new one.

Several key issues have been brought up that would easily make separate posts on their own, but I'm going to cram them all together, for your reading pleasure (or just to confuse you).

Am I guilty of Sizeism? Who? Me? Nah...

The back story...
Here's my sob story: I've tried all my life to gain weight, to no avail. My parents were both string beans when they were my age, and I came by it naturally. My mother probably would have never became overweight had it not been for having two kids only 17 months apart late in life. My dad can't fit in his high school gym shorts (heck, I can't even fit into those!), but I'd say he's average or slightly below average weight. Throughout school I was ridiculed for being too small, and I desperately wanted to gain weight. My best friend became a vegetarian when she was 10, and I wanted to do the same, but I was so afraid that I would never gain weight if I did that. Reading all the reports about how the hormones in meat and dairy made girls develop early and plump up like fat little chickens made me eat more meat than ever. Obviously, they had no effect. Nada. Nothing. I was flat as a board and skinny as ever. Kids would jokingly (and sometimes seriously) ask me if I was anorexic. They'd push me around, laugh when I changed out for Gym (the only class I ever failed, because I refused to dress out), and were just little bastards about it. I longed for my thighs to touch together, for my boobs to outgrow an A cup, so people just wouldn't bother me any more. I was an utter freak of nature, and all I wanted to do was blend. Eventually, (not overnight, mind you) I decided I didn't care what anyone thought or said about me. Call me "emaciated," "disgusting," "malnourished," or whatever else you want to throw at me. I don't care. I know I'm not any of those things, so piss off.

but that doesn't answer the question...
So, do I discriminate against fat people like some people discriminate against me? Absolutely not. Everybody's got their own demons to fight. Fat people just have to show their demons off a little more than others. When I look at an obese person, I do make some assumptions about that person's diet, their habits, et cetera. I know, though, that these judgments might not be true, and I dismiss them. Now, when I see an obese person eating a steak or fried chicken, I'm pretty sure that person isn't taking care of themselves. That doesn't make me think they're a bad person. It makes me a little sad, and a little frustrated... kind of like if I was to witness a bulimic girl puking in the bathroom after dessert. According to what I looked up about sizeism, I don't think I fit the bill.

but you said "frustrated." Why?
No matter what size you are, I think you should use our resources responsibly. Gluttony is wrong. Period. I don't care whether it's gorging yourself on ice cream and cookies, leaving the water running when you leave the bathroom, or driving a mammoth vehicle that gets 8 miles per gallon. You're wasting resources, and that frustrates me.

but you're a vegetarian... that means you think you're better than everyone else, right?
I have always maintained that when all is said and done, what matters is that you know in your heart that you're doing the right thing. I know in my heart that eating meat is not the right thing for me to do, so I stopped. This does not make me a better or healthier person than the next guy. It just means that I'm doing something different. I don't like this topic very much, because people get easily offended about it. I really don't want to tick anybody off. This topic came up at lunch today with some coworkers. It usually does when people hear the strange orders I place. I wasn't trying to prompt a discussion, I just wanted to order my mushroom quesadilla with no queso in peace.

I think I covered the bases, but something else will sprout from this, I'm sure. Now, please pardon me while I puke up my dinner... ha!

posted by Jennifer at 2/08/2005 07:22:00 PM



6 comments:
Blogger Tickles_Tapeworm said...

Man, I was just trying to rattle your cage a little. :p I wasn't really accusing you of being a sizeist for real. It was just fuel for the fire. And it's a funny looking word.

It wasn't my intention to upset you. I was just trying to be funny. I didn't mean to imply you were disgusting or a puker or anything like that either. I just called you skinny. :p

No more insult humor I guess. Too bad, cause my Vaudeville act is a bit rusty.

2/08/2005 08:23:00 PM  



Blogger carrie said...

Imagine getting to share 800sq. ft. with such a funny guy. :) He really is like this all the time!

I already know he is going to return here to retort my jab and make me look exactly like the jackass that I am. But perhaps my preparation will spoil some of his fun.

2/08/2005 09:21:00 PM  



Blogger Tickles_Tapeworm said...

Captain Lou Albano f'n rocks! Especially in the Cyndi Lauper videos.

"Imagine getting to share 800sq. ft. with such a funny guy. :) He really is like this all the time!"

Let's see. I'm sure you're familliar with Carrie ;). Complains about me? You can only imagine what might happen dare I say something she doesn't like.

2/08/2005 10:16:00 PM  



Blogger Jennifer said...

ha! You guys crack me up. Tickles, say something asinine before someone thinks you're a big softie. :^)

2/09/2005 08:17:00 PM  



Blogger Tickles_Tapeworm said...

Something asinine.

Wait a minute. Big Softie? Is that some kind of fat joke? I was f'n right all along; you ARE a sizeist!

:p

2/10/2005 12:20:00 AM  



Blogger The Cat Pack said...

My stepson is just like you. He can't gain a pound for the life of him. One weekend he decided he was going to eat all weekend long and not move so he wouldn't burn any calories. He ate like a pig, didn't budge off the couch, and lost a pound anyway. Go figure.

2/11/2005 08:27:00 AM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.