HOME

Monday, July 18, 2005

boy, you're gonna carry that weight

I’m currently experiencing self-perception issues. This weekend, I went to two family reunions in one weekend (one Saturday, one Sunday). Out of both occasions, only once was I told by someone that I “look good” (my cousin Don... thank you, Don, if you ever find this). Everyone else decided to tell me exactly the opposite of that. “Eat up, Jen. You need to gain some weight.” Or, “How much do you weigh? I bet you’re not even over 100 pounds.” Or, “How old are you now? Why, you don’t look a day older than 15.” And so on. And so forth.

Which brings me to the question: Why is it okay to go up to a person like me and say something derrogatory about their weight, but it’s not okay to go up to a fat person and tell them, “Boy, you sure are fat. You should skip dessert.”?

If it wasn’t family, I would’ve been tempted to be rude. It’s just not in my nature, though. But, it would be oh-so-sweet to retort with a comment like “What’s your cholesterol up to now? Must be at least 400.” But, alas, I am not that kind of person. Everyone is different. No one should comment on anyone else’s weight unless they’re doing it with pure, good intentions... honest concern for their well-being. Or joking. But just being mean is just plain rude.

In other news, my parents’ new kitty cat (the one they got after Leo died) had her kittens Sunday evening while I was in town. They are so cute. I’ve been gushing all day, and I’ll post pictures as soon as I get them. She had five of them: 1 solid black, 1 tortoise shell, 1 orange tabby, and 2 solid white. Absolutely adorable! Know anyone who wants a kitten? :^)

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 7/18/2005 10:52:00 AM



1 comments:
Blogger Jennifer said...

I suppose it doesn't help that the last time they saw me I was probably 4 years old. I guess they don't want to think that it's been 20 years since they've seen me last... makes 'em feel old.

7/19/2005 10:45:00 AM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.