HOME

Thursday, January 03, 2008

putting poker faces on

I'm still sick. And I'm amazed at the amount of mucus my body is capable of producing. I went to the MinuteClinic today, and the nurse there told me to stay hydrated, do a saline sinus wash (eeew!), and try a nasal spray. I got some nasal spray with camphor and menthol in it, and I've been able to breathe for about 2 hours now. Progress!

Introspection has jumped up and grabbed me by the ears, as it tends to do to people this time of year. Got some news this morning that I don't know how to feel about yet.

iTunes isn't helping. I turned it on random just now, and got some Pedro the Lion, the epitome of mixed emotions... "Priests and Paramedics."

Paramedics brave and strong
Up before the break of dawn
Putting poker faces on
Broken bodies all day long
The neighbors heard a fight
Someone had a knife
It must have have been the wife
Husband's lost a lot of blood
He wakes up screaming
"Oh my God, am I gonna die?
Am I gonna die?"
As they strapped his arms down to his sides
At times like these they'd been taught to lie
"Buddy just calm down, you'll be all right"
Several friends came to his grave
His children were so well-behaved
As the priest got up to speak
The assembly craved relief
But he himself had given up
So instead he offered them this bitter cup
"You're gonna die, we're all gonna die
Could be twenty years, could be tonight
Lately I have been wondering why
We go to so much trouble to postpone the unavoidable
And prolong the pain of being alive"

It's followed on the album Control by a song called "Rejoice," which is a dirge with only a few lyrics:
Wouldn't it be so wonderful
If everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful
And most everything turns to shit.
Rejoice. Rejoice. Rejoice.
Rejoice. Rejoice. Rejoice.

I guess you can see why mixed emotions aren't helping. But the music is so beautiful.

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 1/03/2008 12:58:00 PM



0 comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.