HOME

Friday, March 14, 2008

a change would do you good

While I'm sickly, I feel like ranting. I am tired of pseudo-Christian bigots around here giving everyone their two cents about politics. If your decision about who to vote for is based entirely around ethnicity, please keep your opinion to yourself. Expressing it only proves to everyone what a racist zealot you are.

That was nice.

Moving on. I am sick again. Again. I think I will sequester myself in my house for the next year, so I will not come in contact with anyone else's germs. Or maybe I should invest in a giant plastic bubble. This is reason #462 to explore the option of human hibernation.

I have two snugly tabby cats in my lap. Life isn't really so bad, after all.

I just learned that "snugly" only has one "g." Go figure. I like it better with two.

In my Widget thesaurus, the word "zealot" could be interchangeable with the following: fanatic, enthusiast, extremist, radical, diehard, true believer, activist, militant, bigot, dogmatist, sectarian, partisan, fiend, maniac, ultra, nut, eager beaver. Is it just me, or is it ironic to find the terms "true believer," "bigot," and "nut" in the same entry?

I'm moving on now. Really.

Or maybe not.

Trouble is, people fear the concept of and the word "change." But if we never change, we are useless. We're backwoods and bigoted. We're fearful and intolerant. The lack of change inhibits evolution and progress.

If this country never changed, slavery would never have been abolished, women would have no voting rights, and – delving back to the very beginnings – we'd never have established independence from Britain in the first place. Now, we face a new set of issues. And no matter which of these you see as most important, nothing matters more than the fact that we must change. We must improve. Greatness is nothing without constant change, progress, and improvement.

Vote for who you feel is best, and keep the bigotry to yourself. It isn't flattering.

And another note, I am sick of people saying that if you don't like this country to go live somewhere else. If you don't like this country, change this country; make it a better place. Make the rest of the world stop seeing us as modern-day Nazi, gung-ho, fundamentalist, egocentric assholes. (It might be a stretch for those of us who are modern-day Nazi, gung-ho, fundamentalist, egocentric assholes to counter that impression, but that is part of what I mean by change being a good thing.)

Rant over.

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 3/14/2008 12:12:00 PM



2 comments:
Blogger AKA said...

Preach on, sista! I enjoyed that.

On a serious note, I agree 100%. Over here on the other side of the Atlantic, I personally back Obama (not that I can vote over there or anything...) And in the UK, there is a genuine sense of excitement about the US elections. The whole world has been so horribly affected by the Bush presidency, that we are all collectively looking forward to change in the US, regardless of whether it is Obama or Hillary. (And it it's McCain, I don't even want to think about the next 4 years...)

Also: I thought "snugly" had a double "s" as well. I think we should lobby to change the spelling. Snuggly snuggly snuggly.

3/14/2008 02:42:00 PM  



Blogger Jennifer said...

Good to know another point of view! It is difficult to imagine things from a global perspective sometimes. Especially when I'm considering literally confining myself to a bubble. Seriously.

Let's do put the double "g" in snuggly. I like it that way. We could say it's the British variation like the superfluous "u" in colour...

3/16/2008 02:29:00 PM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.