HOME

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

your circuit's dead

Today, I got up at 6:45 a.m. to take my car in for its 90,000-mile service. Or, rather, I should say that Darrell got me up at 6:45. Thankfully. I never would have made it on my own. You see, I don't wake up before 9:00. I just don't. Maybe 8:00. Rarely. So, 6:45 nearly killed me. I was out of the house and dressed by 7:00, and that is just wrong on many, many levels.

But, anyhow, that is not the point of this message.

The point is that I was in the car driving (at this ungodly hour), and the radio spoke to me. Yes, the radio always speaks to me. It tells me I need to refinance my home, I need to stop at McDonald's, I need Comcast high-speed internet, and so on. I usually don't listen, except when it tells me helpful things like traffic and the weather, when I can actually catch 'em between the commercials.

Today, it told me I might be addicted to the internet. Actually, what it told me exactly was that 8 out of 10 American adults say they cannot go at least 2 days without the internet. I'm not sure who these people are that were polled, but I think I can safely say I'm one of the 8 out of 10.

I'm not sure what to do about this, except write about it on the internet.

Is that kind of like someone telling an alcoholic that they have a drinking problem, and the alcoholic promptly going to the bar to talk it over with a friend over a beer?

Maybe? *sigh*

I'm a mess.

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 10/18/2006 06:50:00 AM



4 comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, well I'm right there with you. Seriously. This whole moving thing, and being without the internet TOTALLY gave me the shakes. It could be worse, though, so I'd take being addicted to the internet over being addicted to, say, crack anytime.

And, that is an ungodly hour. I feel for you.

And, I must insist that you bring on the chicken. BRING IT!

10/18/2006 07:26:00 AM  



Blogger SuperP. said...

I don't know anyone who can go 2 days without their telephone, water, food, clean-underwear, hug, kiss or checking their postal mail. But, I don't know anyone addicted to their teleophone, water-supply, refridgerator, la senza outlet, hugs, kisses or mailman.

It really depends on how it's affecting your life.. that is the basis for determining addiction.. if it affects your family, money, sleep, health, occupation, responsibilities.. then, yeah.. maybe you need to cut it down.

10/19/2006 05:05:00 PM  



Blogger SuperP. said...

Oh. and.. maybe the radio should mention that the average north american adult watches 25 - 30 hours a television a week. Might as well have a second job as propoganda connoseur. sheesh.

10/19/2006 05:06:00 PM  



Blogger Jennifer said...

Daph & Penny, you both have good points. I would much rather be an internet junkie than be addicted to crack or the television.

On second thought, I'm not addicted. I'm just a fanatic. :^)

Oh, and the radio's probably not allowed to say anything bad about television, because most of their advertising is from television stations...

10/20/2006 09:59:00 AM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.