HOME

Friday, October 20, 2006

found my world in you

Have you read The Bridges of Madison County? If not, you won't get what I'm talking about. I don't want to include any spoilers, though, in case you do decide to read it. If so, read on, and please share your thoughts.

I read this book, because when I told my father about the reasons I was moving back to Tennessee, most of his response was a statement about the movie version of the book. He said something to the effect of, "Now you know why I cry when I saw The Bridges of Madison County."

So, I read it.

I made it through the final pages waiting on the community orchestra concert to start up (Darrell plays the viola with them). While reading those last pages, though surrounded by other audience members, I shed a few tears also. If I was in a more quiet setting at home, I probably would have bawled.

If you have read the book or seen the movie, please share your thoughts about Francesca. Was she a stronger or a weaker person for the final decision she made that Friday morning?

I like to think she was neither stronger nor weaker, but more of a human. More aware of life. More awake, more sensitive, more exposed. She was stronger for the responsibility she felt toward her family. But she was weaker also for her responsibilities that she let guide her through life. In a way, you admire her; in a way, you pity her.

This was a short book – 170 pages with larger print than I'm used to. So, I only ended up marking one quote to come back to. That quote was this:
The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.
[Here's the part where you share your thoughts.]

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 10/20/2006 09:42:00 AM



1 comments:
Blogger SuperP. said...

I don't think there is a judgment that can accurately be passed here. The story was a true-to-life illustration of inner-conflict, sacrifice, gender, responsibility, etc.. There could have been many variations of the ending. But, the one she chose was the one she has to live with, in all it's consequence and she will never know how it turned out, herself, until the end.

Just as your friends will have opinions on what happened between you and Michael, no one can ever really knows what goes on between a husband and wife in their own relationship. Just as we can all have values and morals to guide us, we can't always be true to them at all times.

Choice and free-will are gifts that can feel like curses, but they are not. How you handle making your choices and the repercussions of them afterward will give way to new choices and more introspection and lessons and joy or pain.

That is just life, Jennifer. You are just a human being.

You have a good heart and I think the woman in the story had a good heart, too, when it comes down to it.

Whose to say.

We are responsible for many others, true. But, we answer only to ourselves and God, in the end. And, God is a very loving God. You have to love yourself, too.

Love to you.

10/23/2006 12:37:00 PM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.