HOME

Thursday, February 02, 2006

the long and winding road

We moved to New Jersey from Tennessee this past Monday. It was grueling. It was seemingly eternal. It wasn't pleasant. But we made it.

Christopher (my loving brother), Josh (the truck drivin' fool), Jason (the packing wizard), Chris Ward (the most helpful packing helper ever), Kristine (my loving sister-in-law), and Kerri (the vacuum genius) all came to help us out for HOURS of packing and cleaning. Then, Michael, Josh, Christopher, and I headed out on the road. It was 20-hour car trip... and it rained almost constantly. Michael and Josh drove the truck and carried Osagi the Wonder Tortoise. Christopher and I drove Michael's car and carried Houdini, Osiris, and O'Malley.

It was quite an adventure. I'll leave it at that.

The unpacking was long and tiring. The drive to get Josh and Christopher to the Philly airport was eternal and full of wrong turns. I wish they could've had some fun while they were here, but some extra-yummy Jersey pizza will have to suffice.

There really are no words to express how grateful I am for their help.

Since then, I've been unpacking, unpacking, unpacking. Since we wisely ditched our computer desk in Tennessee (it was falling apart), we went on a quest for a new desk today. We looked at Best Buy. No luck. We stopped by CompUSA, since it was nearby. No furniture there. We looked at Staples, and found stuff we liked to a degree there, but nothing that was THE desk. Finally, we stopped at Target and found the Perfect Desk. It was out of stock. We stopped at another Target. Not there either. I called another one. Not there. I looked online, and it was $70 more expensive online. Dammit. Finally, I called one last Target, and they had TWO! TWO DESKS! I was so excited. They held one for me, and after a 5-hour desk quest, I purchased my desk. I assembled it myself, and I LOVE IT! Who would have thought a desk could make someone's day?

So, that's my adventure. I hope New Jersey treats me well. I'm slightly concerned.

You can read Christopher's version of the story here, or Michael's version here.

Labels: ,

posted by Jennifer at 2/02/2006 07:43:00 PM



3 comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, welcome to your new home. I hope, not I'm sure, that everything will turn out fine.

Unpacking is always a mess and unfun. I'm always amazed at how much stuff we have. It seems too much for two people.

2/03/2006 12:33:00 AM  



Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good old Target - they have it all, don't they? (Do they pronounce it "Tarzhay" in Jersey like they do in Georgia?)

Bon chance, mazel tov and gesundheit to you, Michael and your menagerie in your new home.

2/05/2006 10:18:00 AM  



Blogger Jennifer said...

Jamie - Thank you for the well-wishes. It is quite a lot of stuff for two people. I think we have enough for ten. ha!

Mysterious B - I don't like saying "Tarzhay." It's silly. It's just a plain old Target to me. Thanks for the gesundheit... how'd you know I sneezed? hehe. (I did, really.)

2/10/2006 08:50:00 AM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.