HOME

Monday, January 22, 2007

from vine to vine

I had another dietary revelation the other day...

To explain, I must first explain some back story. About 20 years ago (when I was 7), my grandfather used to grow all different kinds of vegetables around the side of my grandparents' house. Some of these were cherry tomatoes. He used to love them, and affectionately called them "Tommy Toes."

Fast forward 20 years back into the present. Darrell and I were sitting in the garage, discussing dinner plans. I was telling him about a raw soup that Kathy had made for me, and I was planning on making it for us that night. I began listing off the ingredients: tomatoes, celery, avacado... and right after I said "tomatoes," Darrell said delightfully, "Tommy Toes!"

I was silent, staring off into the distance, not finishing my list of ingredients. Darrell looked at me, befuddled, and asked where I went. I was visiting my memory from 20 years ago... of my grandfather calling the cherry tomatoes "Tommy Toes."

And when I snapped back to the present, I told Darrell of my revelation:
I had always thought my grandfather called them "Tommy Toes" because they looked like little toes. It never had occurred to me that he just called them that because it's a cute name that sounds a lot like "tomatoes."

*sigh*

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 1/22/2007 11:34:00 AM



1 comments:
Blogger KERRILBUTLER said...

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE Tommy toes!!! This blog made me go and buy some! Ummmmmmm..... good!

1/27/2007 08:19:00 PM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.