HOME

Saturday, November 22, 2008

full of tired excuses

I fully intended to be constructive today around the house... but I woke up at noon, sat around, and did stuff on the computer. I should probably limit my computer time. But until then, here's excerpts from the last few books I've read. I marked some spots to share...



From Waiter Rant by The Waiter:

Despite my excitement, I feel the shadow of failure wrapping itself around me.


"Happy cows, madam?" I deadpan.
"Exactly," the woman says. "In Japan they feed their cows beer and massage them so they're really happy. Keeps the flesh tender."
There is some truth to what the lady's saying. If cows experience anxiety before they're slaughtered, they can release hormones that degrade the taste of the meat. I'm all for making a steer's end as painless as possible, but there's something about this lady's attitude that's creeping me out. Her desire to see animals humanely treated has less to do with compassion and more to do with her taste buds. It's like she won't be happy until every petting zoo's been turned into a death camp.


"People say you have to travel to see the world. Sometimes I think that if you just stay in one place and keep your eyes open, you're going to see just about all you can handle."


I'm burning out from the fire of my own demons.



From Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty:

Roughly half of married couples split up. Those odds suck. Think of it this way: Would you buy a car if you knew there was a 50 percent chance it would blow up somewhere on the road of life? I think not.
"But what about the fifty percent who do stay together?" you ask. "What about them?"
Well, they should probably break up, too.


That's what love comes down to, doesn't it? We help others only as much as they let us.



From Fourth Comings by Megan McCafferty:

The tales we tell ourselves about ourselves make us who we are.


This reveals an elemental cause of all our miscommunication. I am fluent in snark. Bethany only notices snark when snark grabs her off the sidewalk, throws her in the back of a sketchy van with tinted windows, drives to the middle of the Meadowlands in the dead of the night, and uses a heavy blunt instrument to smack her repeatedly about the head as it screams, "I'M SNARK. DO YOU FUCKING HEAR ME? I'M SNARKY SNARKY SNARK!" And even then she's like, "Ohhhh? Snark? Is that you?"



From Shockproof Syndey Skate by Marijane Meaker:

Knowing without anyone knowing he knew, was his lifestyle.


Then she said, "Hold me harder. Really hold me. Sydney? I can really understand why mental patients need straightjackets. I need something to press around me, something to reassure me I'm not splitting, shattering."

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 11/22/2008 09:20:00 PM



0 comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.