HOME

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

it's a broken hallelujah

The other day, I found a site with a list of "The 25 Most Exquisitely Sad Songs in the Whole World." So, of course, I had to download them all (most of them, anyhow). And now my iTunes is playing them.

And I'm sad. Wonder why?

It's not just the lyrics. It's the tones. The mournful, longing, aching tones are reaching out to me and tearing out my heart.

Does anyone know of a "25 Most Wonderfully Happy Songs in the Whole World" list?

Labels:

posted by Jennifer at 5/16/2007 10:34:00 AM



1 comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The waterworks line in "No Surprises" is not the one they give: it's "such a pretty house and such a pretty garden".

He's on his way out, he knows it, it's too late to turn back and he's finally appreciating what he had and how beautiful his life was. That's "sad" with a capital 's' and seven 'a's.

And where was "The Wrong Child" by REM? It's the rightful winner and truly the most unbearably saddest song in the world. I can't even play it in my head without welling up. And there we go: I'm crying right now. Damnit.

'The only moment of clarity in the otherwise disorienting song comes on the chorus (”I will try to sing a happy song…”) which sounds hopeful and optimistic in the most emotionally gutting way possible.'

5/22/2007 12:40:00 PM  



Post a Comment



<< Home




© ALL MATERIALS PROPERTY OF JENNIFER WRIGHT.